[LAU] DVD creator ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue May 20 17:01:48 EDT 2008

Florin Andrei wrote:
> NTSC DVD is 720x480, aspect ratio either 4:3 or 16:9 (non-square
> pixels), at 29.97 frames per second interlaced (so it's 59.94 fields per
> second).
> If it's progressive (non-interlaced) then the frame rate is 23.97 fps
> with 2:3 pulldown.

AVS lets me set the video width & height, so I'm okay there. Alas, I
can't set fractional frame rates, so 30 FPS is what I start with.

Audio output is a 48 kHz WAV, what considerations do I have where that's
concerned ?

Thanks for the tip re: HCenc. I opened the GUI under WINE without
troubles, but I haven't tried using it. I'll try it after teaching tonight.

My current method of Kino-to-DVDStyler works, but the resulting video is
not good, definitely nowhere near as good as the original AVI. I'll be
investigating ways to improve the quality. I take it that expensive
higher-quality encoders are out there ?

Best,

dp