[LAU] 8 channel mixer/equalizer implementation suggestions needed

bolangi at nic-nac-project.org bolangi at nic-nac-project.org
Sun Nov 23 15:22:55 EST 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 06:42:32PM -0600, Michael Grigoni wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I need to make a headless rackmount mixer/router with some basic processing
> capabilities that will have eight line-level inputs and four outputs; it
> should be configurable (in real time) for routing one or more inputs to
> one or more outputs, with mixing and optional equalization of the sources
> (up to eight equalizers).

Note that with Jack, you can add and remove clients while the
transport is running.

Ecasound is a single project that provides many of the
routing abilities you seem to be wanting using an abstraction
called 'chains', and can do it with or without Jack.  As
Julian writes, you can bypass chain operators and mute
chains in realtime. You can add/remove LADSPA effects in
realtime if you can tolerate a "glitch". Note that the routing
(chain setup) cannot be changed with the engine running.
There are interfaces to LISP, Perl and Python and C.

You may also also be interested in routing abstractions or
other code I have written as part of a perl module extension
for Ecasound, Audio::Ecasound::Multitrack, that includes a
recorder-mixer application.

Hope this helps,

--
Joel Roth