[LAU] Finally build 2.6.26 that works

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Fri Sep 19 03:53:25 EDT 2008

2.6.26.5 with the rt9 real-time patch. No problems with the IDE1 line this
time around (previous ones killed DMA, 32-bit access, etc, a rendered the disk
temporary unreadable to BIOS!! on reboot). Now to try to use the thing.

Build kqemu, vboxdrv, squashfs, no sweat.

Nvidia .... always a problem, it seems. Neither nvidia's nor debian's legacy
driver (for mx400 cards) will compile. Debian's (where I had the sources and
could play a bit) complains about an implicit definition of
__SEMAPHORE_INITIALIZER. This is inside a #define that stuffs a mutex
structure. I tried breaking this into a function and a #define but the
constant is the problem, not how it was being used.

Any ideas?

Two more caveats:

The patch does not append -rt to the kernel name (.config indicates the patch
was indeed applied OK). Not very important.

Got this on bootup:
Sep 19 09:39:46 d_baron kernel: warning: `proftpd' uses 32-bit capabilities
(legacy support in use)
This could be important!  The current kernel did not kill 32-bit access(??).
Any ideas?