[LAU] Aeolus, synthesized pipe organ

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sun Sep 21 05:18:21 EDT 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 10:54:22PM -1000, david wrote:

> > http://www.geocities.jp/midi_organ_net/aeolus/
>
> Thanks, Steve. That gets it working. Methinks that if it requires JACK,

Jack is the default. You can use ALSA with the -A option.

> it should return some message indicating that if it doesn't find JACK
> running.

It will try to start Jack in that case (this may be removed in
future releases). If you start Aeolus in a terminal it will
usually report if anything goes wrong.

> Anyway, was able to play MIDIs from Rosegarden to Aeolus, plus able to
> play from my keyboard to Aeolus. Cool! Lovely sound! I really need to
> install an RT kernel here, though - 45-52% CPU usage and many xruns ...

Aeolus also accepts MIDI over Jack if you have that enabled.

Make sure you're running Jack and Aeolus in RT mode. In many cases
that's enough to avoid xruns, even on a standard kernel (but YMMV).
45% CPU is on the high side. On my six year old 2G P4 it Aeolus
rarely goes above 15%, and quite less on average.
You also get a too high CPU estimate from Jack/Qjackctl if not
running realtime.

Ciao,

--
FA