[LAU] Jack-enabled CLI Player

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Aug 2 15:57:38 EDT 2009

> David Baron:
>
>> What might be a jack-enabled equivalent of:
>>
>> /usr/bin/ogg123 -d alsa<1>   (<1>  is and ogg file, obviously)
>>
>> Preferrable would be something that will play through jack if the daemon be
>> running, alsa not (mplayer can work this way but this is a bit heavy for a
>> short file play, i.e., a signal from a program).
>>

> With pulseaudio, you can simply use ogg123, and you
> don't have to give any special options for ogg123,
> just write "ogg123<1>" and you'll get sound through
> jack.
>
> Pulseaudio has amazingly well-working jack audio drivers
> and alsa interfaces, so finally linux audio works
> without hassle for all programs all the time.
>
> This is the only modification I had to do to make it work:
> $ grep jack /etc/pulse/*
> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-source
> /etc/pulse/default.pa:load-module module-jack-sink

Can you please clarify what you did?

Did you add those lines above to a specifc file or did you just run grep
and everything magically worked?

> I don't know how pulseaudio is set up on other distributions,
> but on fedora 11 everything seems to work very well.

It seems more stable to me too and I find the control interface and
associated apps are more user friendly than previous versions.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd