[LAU] recommendations for midi controller keyboard

Joel Roth joelz at pobox.com
Tue Jan 6 21:52:23 EST 2009

 Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 05:22:46PM +0000, andy baxter wrote:
> Is there a usb standard for midi keyboards which linux knows about? The
> other thing I'm looking into is a friend of mine has a Nord Electro 61
> which he wants to be able to play into his linux machine. It has a usb
> out - is there a reasonable chance that if I just plugged it in with a
> standard usb cable I could get it working?

Hi Andy,

The Nord is a great instrument, a poor man's alternative to
a B3. At a time when I was looking for an organ to play
with, I was thinking of a Nord, or figuring out how to get
the beatrix B3 emulator to work for me. (Anyone corresponded
with the developer lately?)

According to the advertising blurbs, the USB in the Nord is
for _downloading_ new sets of instrument samples. The MIDI
interface is an _input_ for connecting a second keyboard. So
it seems that the only certain way for your friend to play
into his linux machine would be via an analog out into a
decent soundcard's line in.

Regards,

Joel

--