[LAU] [OT] DV/HDV camera recommendation ?

Tue Jul 7 23:55:23 EDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-07 at 14:37 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Peter Finnegan wrote:
> >
> > I would look for a miniDV camcorder.  Those tend to have firewire out,
> > and work with uncompressed video.

The video is compressed, but it is a frame oriented compression (ie:
each frame is compressed independently of the others). 5 to 1
compression or so if I remember correctly, and as it is frame by frame
it is much easier to work with than, say, mpeg2.

>  Sometimes your local big box
> > electronics store might have a good deal on an open box or discontinued
> > miniDV, as they are going toward direct to SD or flash memory
> > camcorders.
> >
> Hi Peter,
>
> I'll look for the camcorder locally, then on to eBay. Thanks for the tips.
>
> Best,

-- Fernando