[LAU] why shouldn't clients autoconnect to jack

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Mon Mar 23 19:29:06 EDT 2009

>Whatever autoconnect scheme jack could provide, it
>would not please some app authors. They would want
>to be sure to be connected to playback-1 and -2
>while jack might connect them to -7 and -8, and
>that would actually make more sense than wanting
>to autoconnect in the first place. So they would
>just bypass jack's --no-autoconnect option by doing
>it themselves.
>
>You can't stop people from behaving in uncivilised
>ways or being rude by law, nor by being polite
>yourself. In the same way you can't stop apps from
>autoconnecting by trying to make it impossible, or
>by providing an alternative. The problem is not
>technical, it is the attitude of application authors
>thinking they can decide in the user's place.
>

>From a user perspective, autconnecting apps never seems to match the user
requirement. The more complex the studio, (usually when there is a physical patch
bay involved) the more complex the connection scheme maybe, or it maybe changing
constantly through a piece of work..

So within Ardour, I turn off Autoconnect(thankyou for allowing me to do this),
and with other apps I have to go in and undo the connections they initiate on
startup...

I really need to get my head around Lash... then maybe my life will be easier.