[LAU] ubuntu realtime.

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Thu May 28 20:25:29 EDT 2009

On Fri May 29  8:54 , Mark Knecht  sent:

>On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Marcel Marti marcel.marti at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If you want to do music with Linux just try a focused audio distro like
>> Musix, Jacklab, Studio64, and so on. (I've just tried Musix so I can only
>> recommend this one). But if you like to spend hours tweaking the system and
>> trying to get a stable and reliable platform for your audio production (as I
>> used to do) just try Ubuntu Studio. It's up to you.
>>
>> I really love Linux and free software philosophy, and I've learned a lot by
>> reading manuals, books and being helped by the comunity. But I also have
>> learned that if you want to do music you have to know the right moment to
>> stop with the tweaking spiral and start doing what you like most which is
>> music.
>>
>> Asmo, to be able to reach latencies of 3ms does not mean that I always work
>> at 3ms. It was just an example, just as yours with the 4ms jack-settings. I
>> usually work with 11ms just to assure the work I'm doing.
>>
>> And please, let's help people instead of boasting. ;-)
>>
>> Good luck!
>
>Well said and I agree wholeheartedly. My system can do 1-2mS
>consistently, but the ONLY time I use it is when I'm tracking. Other
>than that I run at around 11 or even higher. Mixing/mastering and
>everything else is done up there.
>
>Real-time *latency* only makes a difference when we're doing something
>that *requires* real-time. Other than that I like Jack at higher
>latencies because it does a great job of making sure the music gets
>through to where it needs to be, on-time and not corrupted.
>
>1mS latency for listening to a CD? Why? ;-)
>
>Cheers,
>Mark

Very good points..

Although I do actually do most of my audio work at a fairly low latency setting
(but not as extreme as 1ms) unless my plugin count goes up too high then I'll
relax it a bit more.. but as I work with a lot of outboard gear that isn't very
often.

The main reason I like running at low latency is for responsiveness from my
controllers. I've used hardware synths, pianos and mixers for most of my life and
once it starts to go past 8ms it feels unnatural.