[LAU] OSX apps (Berna)

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Nov 27 19:11:38 EST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 6:04 PM, Josh Lawrence <hardbop200 at gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I've been seeing mention of this:
>
> http://www.gleetchplug.com/Gleetchplug/berna.html
>
> Looks super-cool, but there's no Linux version.
>
> The OSX people have tools for compiling Linux applications on their
> platform, can we (Linux users) do anything to run Mac apps on Linux?

it would be an enormous task, almost equivalent to writing Wine from scratch.

although GNUStep exists to provide compatibility for most of the Cocoa API,
(a) the OS X audio infrastructure is huge and complex
(b) many OS X plugins continue to use Carbon, an older C-based API

basically, close to hopeless.