[LAU] qjackctl gets confused when used through ssh -X

fons at kokkinizita.net fons at kokkinizita.net
Thu Oct 29 12:43:33 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 03:31:24PM +0000, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:

> first ask why you want more than one qjackctl instance running?

I'm routinely running audio systems consisting of more than
one machine, with usually all but one headless. And occasionally
I want to manually verify/modify jack connections on the remote
machines. So running 'ssh -X somehost qjacktl' is expected to
work, as it should for any X11 app, and must not depend on
conditions that don't matter.

> if what you want is controlling more than one jackd server, then setting
> JACK_DEFAULT_SERVER with distinct environment values is the answer. i can't
> really see how you can do it otherwise, no matter which qjackctl version.

If you want to avoid having two instances of qjackctl on
the same jack server (why, it should just work), then
checking for existing windows clearly is the wrong way
to do it. No X11 app should ever care where its display
is located physically and which other windows exist on
it. Being on the same display doesn't imply anything
about the location of the application itself.

Ciao,

--
FA