[LAU] Rolling off high frequencies when mastering?

Roberto roberto at zenvoid.org
Wed Apr 21 19:49:32 UTC 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 01:47:32PM -0500, micromoog wrote:
> > Below
> > that you will have more then four samples to reproduce the sinus wave.
> > That is in fact another reason to do the recording, mixing and mastering in
> > more then 44kHz...
> >

> This is a pretty bold claim, and contradicts Nyquist and other literature.
> Do you have a citation for the claim that frequencies "as low as a quarter
> of the sampling-rate" are damaged by sampling?

I found the links privided by Niels Mayer quite useful on this topic:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyquist_frequency#The_aliasing_problem

Based on my own experience, it certainly happens, though I can't say
why, it may be resampling or crappy hardware as others pointed, but the
distortion is there and audible. It becomes impossible to notice with
high sampling rate recordings (at least on PC hardware, have not tried
on portable players yet).

Maybe it can be avoided somehow, but disk space is cheap nowadays so I
find more convenient to just record at 96Khz and avoid headaches.