[LAU] [Fwd: Re: xruns on ubuntu w edirol FA101]

Atte André Jensen atte at email.dk
Fri Jun 4 19:18:17 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-04 20:36, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:

> First thing that pops up in my mind is CPU frequency scaling (disabling
> the Ondemand service),

That might be. Again I might have falsely assumed that that goes for my
laptop (2Ghz dual core) applies to his. Still I never had problems like
the ones he has with frequency scaling. Seems to matter at high loads
but with nothing using jack it has never been a problem to me, but it's
worth a try!

> but apparently it's an old laptop so maybe it
> doesn't apply.

Maybe, I'm not sure exactly how old, I guess a cat /proc/cpuinfo would
be useful...

> And Firewire can be very picky when it's an onboard Firewire chipset. If
> so it could share an IRQ and then you most probably have to use rtirq to
> get it running in a stable way.

Ah, I didn't think about that. It could be his firewire chipset is one
of those buggy/crappy ones people curse over here from time to time.
Again I never met one of those, should have thought about that.

I used to be really into tuning my IRQ's but now it doesn't really seem
to matter anymore. Maybe that'll make a difference on his hardware.

Thanks for all the ideas so far! Seems to be lot's of stuff I forgot
about...

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk