[LAU] ASCAP Assails Free-Culture, Digital-Rights Groups

andy baxter andy at earthsong.free-online.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 23:09:46 UTC 2010

On 28/06/10 23:17, Philipp Überbacher wrote:
> But a thanks from me, I didn't know of it. Very interesting, even the
> comments are in a way, as they display different points of view.
>
> It also spawned  an idea.
> How about CC licensing music, but
> not right away.
>
> Wait a couple of years or however long you want. It's similar to a
> reduced copyright expiration time. After a duration you decide on you
> just say: "Hey it's free, listen to my music, share it!".
> This would be beneficial for a lot of reasons. As advertising for the
> artist, sharable cultural good for the public, as means of reducing
> illegal replication. I merely guess that a lot of the illegally copied
> music is actually pretty old and should IMHO be a shareable public good.

I think the same thing sometimes. The copyrighted music I download is
all stuff that's been around for some time, and I don't see anything
wrong about that, but at the same time I can understand why artists
might not want to take a completely anti-copyright stand. I would like
to see scientific journals and serious periodicals like the New
Scientist distributed like this, for example - they could make their
money selling to the people who want the latest news right now, but
after some time, they would become a resource for everyone to use.