[LAU] Fedora 12 & CCRMA

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Mon May 17 01:27:17 UTC 2010

On Sun, 16 May 2010, Niels Mayer wrote:

> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Rick Green <rtg at aapsc.com> wrote:
>
>> jack-audio-connection-kit.i686      0.118.0-1.fc12                @updates
>>

> You should do a "yum update" after adding the CCRMA repository. Then you'll
> upgrade to the latest Jack:
> jack-audio-connection-kit-1.9.4-1.fc12.ccrma.i686
   I did that this morning.

> You also need to config /etc/group adding your group name to 'jackuser' just
> like you did for
> video, audio, polkituser, pulse, pulse-rt, pulse-access, rtkit, cdrom, tape,
> and whatever else you need special access to.
>
> After doing that you probably will need to reboot once, unless you know
> enough to disable and restart enough systems to get it to reread
> /etc/security/limits.conf which are changed by the CCRMA Jackd. Also, you
> may not like the particular limits set, I changed mine to:
> ( see http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html ).
>
> ## Automatically appended by the Planet CCRMA jack-audio-connection-kit
>
> ## NPM changed '*' to @jackuser to limit priority escalation to jackd.
>
> @jackuser - rtprio 99
>
> @jackuser - memlock 4194304
>
> @jackuser - nice -10
>

> Also, unless you're a masochist, you should totally disable
> selinux ("chkconfig --level 0123456 restorcond off") by adding "selinux=0"
> to /boot/grub/grub.conf e.g.
>
>> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32.11-99.fc12.x86_64 ro
>> root=/dev/mapper/vg_gnulem-lv_root LANG=en_US.UTF-8
>> SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16 KEYBOARDTYPE=pc KEYTABLE=emacs2 vga=0x307
>> selinux=0 nomodeset 5
>

> Above, in addition to
> http://old.nabble.com/uninstall-pulseaudio-to-increase-audio-app-stability-across-updates-(was-Re:-yum-update)-to27759501.html#a27759501
> also disabled the pulseaudio of video -- kernel mode setting -- and behold
> the glory of masses of scrolling text at bootup, stable updates, and no
> weird ATI radeon bugs.
>
> Speaking of pulseaudio, http://old.nabble.com/Re:-Fwd:-jack2-p28288652.html is
> a potential bad interaction between pulseaudio and jack (through
> /etc/security/limits.conf, potential priority escalation issue).

   Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll read the articles at those links,
but for now, I'm trying to figure out how to make this system work with a
vanilla configuration as supplied by fedora + CCRMA.  My belief is if
those tweaks are necessary, they'll be implemented in either the fedora or
CCRMA install scripts.

   a few more observations since my last post:

   'desktop' audio isn't working either.  I just realized that I'm getting
no beeps or startup sounds from fedora.  The motherboard sound system was
detected and automagically configured by Ubuntu, but F12 seems to have
detected it, but not generated a functional configuration.  I wonder if
that is causing the lock-ups of jackd and Ardour?

   The fedora12 installation didn't detect the other OS installs on the
system, and it over-wrote the MBR, so right now I haven't figured out how
to boot into either my kubuntu 7.10 or Ubuntustudio 10.04 systems.  I've
looked at the grub.conf on the various partitions, and they have radically
different syntax, so it looks like f12 and US10.04 are running different
versions of grub, with different config syntax, so I can't simply
cut'n'paste a few menuentry sections into the f12 grub.conf.

--
Rick Green

"The more I learn, The more I learn, how much more there is to learn"
 					- Charlie Brown