[LAU] Music made with linux: Abundance - Ambient-Psy-Trance

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Fri Nov 5 09:20:20 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:45 -0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> However I swear that all I did was export the mix once with normalise
> enabled (at 11:40pm on 31 October 2010) and once with it disabled during
> day light hours on 01 November.

I just downloaded the start of both original FLAC files (to about 1:40),
exported to wavs and matched their gains, swapped the polarity of one,
and presto: a combined signal at < -120dB. There are no differences in
the mixes except overall level.

So this proves two things:
 1. You did nothing but switched normalization (at least for the part I
tested) between the mixes.
 2. Normalization works as expected: it only adds gain.

Whatever differences you are hearing between the mixes is all in your
playback system.

  Sampo