[LAU] In Search of The Unicorn

Ken Restivo ken at restivo.org
Mon Nov 8 16:52:26 UTC 2010

On Mon, Nov 08, 2010 at 02:09:35PM +0100, Hans Wilmers wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 08:55 AM, Ken Restivo wrote:
>> A mythical beast, rumored to exist, but never actually seen. Others have tried,  but failed, to locate it. I now join the search. This beast is:
>>
>> 1) USB 1.0 "class compliant"-- NOT USB 2.0 -- and thus works with Linux
>> 2) Is well and truly supported by ALSA.
>> 3) Has FOUR outputs and 2-4 inputs, all usable from within JACK, with
>> good professional quality DAC/ADCs. 4) The outputs and inputs are
>> balanced and applicable for low or high impedance (probably with a
>> switch), and have TRS 1/4" jacks or XLR or both.
>> 5) Does not cost an arm and a leg.
>>
>> This does not mean the FastTrack Pro! Sure it SAYS it has 4 channels, but only two are accessible from JACK. I have one and have used it for years, but I now need more outputs. And, also, the output of the "other" 4 channels is just RCAs. I need 4 channels output, USB1.0, 44.1Khz/24bit. I could use a cheap 5:1 home-theater USB fob type interface, but the sound  quality would probably suck, and it sure won't give me balanced outs.
>>
>> Does this Unicorn exist? Anyone seen one?
>>
> No, but if you can live with 48/16 instead of 24 bit, and with
> RCA-outputs, the (no longer produced) Terratec "Producer Phase24 USB"
> does the trick. I just tested this. It might just be that the Terratec
> "DMX 6Fire USB" works the same way, but somebody else should confirm
> that.
>
> Btw.: Did you try the FastTrack Pro with 48/16? Choosing between 48/24
> and 48/16 also means choosing between 2 or 6 output channels on my USB
> interface.

I use the FastTrack Pro USB live, currently with 44.1k/16 and get only two output channels that JACK can use. The other two channels show up as a different ALSA interface, which makes it useless, since JACK can only use channels that are all in the same interface. This is why I'm looking for a unit that can do 4 channells output ON THE SAME INTERFACE. This is important, much moreso than 24 bit support.

-ken