[LAU] Mumble Jack Support

alex stone compose59 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 18:29:09 UTC 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Daniel  Worth <pipemanmusic at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would appreciate if people could add positive comments to a bug in Mumbles
> bug tracker to request Jack support.
>
> This would provide a solid free cross platform VOIP solution for podcasters
> to host shows reliably on while offering a free client on every platform.
>
> If you agree with this please goto:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=3008867&group_id=147372&atid=768008
>
> and help us in showing the developer that a little bit of work in this area
> would help a lot of podcaster creating great content.
>
> Daniel Worth
> Host
> The Open Source Muscian Podcast

It's a nice effort Daniel, but i suspect this will go the same way as
skype linux 64bit, and that is fade into the sunset, or meet with
"corporate silence", so to speak.

I've had a decent run with mumble, and use it regularly with jack, but
that's with the alsa-jack plugin, and a .asoundrc setup to use that
plugin.

I've just read the comments from the devs, and i think you're battling
uphill with this one, particularly as slicer seems to be quite happy
with pulseaudio as his Linux default (and this sounds just like
skype's justification for not adding a 64bit option, imho). I think
he's missed the point about JACK, but he's the dev, and will decide
what he wants to do, even if others think he may be missing a valuable
opportunity.

Good luck with this, and i hope you're ultimately successful.
Podcasting isn't going away, and the easier Slicer and his other team
members make the use of mumble, the better the quality of podcast, and
the easier and quicker process of production, for a wider range of
users, both amateur and professional. If he's so inclined, perhaps you
might mention the inevitable increase in street cred he and the mumble
team will get in the podcast and wider community. (If this is
desirable for him, of course)

Imho, mumble could wipe the floor with skype (it does here already for
the sound quality), but it does need jack support as a valuable added
option to expand mumble's reach further.

Regards,

Alex.