[LAU] Plugin confused

Julien Claassen julien at c-lab.de
Mon Nov 15 21:55:58 UTC 2010

Hello Chip!
   I think there is the Vamps system. I don't know, what these plugins were
developed for. I know, that there are problems for finer speech processing.
   LADSPA is sort of LV1. At least LV2 was designed starting from LADSPA. I
think it is designed to also allow MIDI control ports and built-in UIs.
   DSSI and LADSPA are very close, I think part of their API is compatible,
please correct me if I'm wrong. But DSSI also allows for UIs. I don't know, if
DSSI directly supports MIDI input or if it is somehow forwarded through the
dssi host. DSSI is mainly used for soft synths.
   LADSPA and LV2 are most used for effect plugins. I don't know, if you can
implement synths with Vamps, but I think not.
   Then there's VST. VST also supports built-in UIs. With VST you can have
effect plugins and soft synths (VSTI - VST instrument). I'm not sure, if
that's something different API-wise. So VST is something close to LV2, from
the basic point of thought. I think DSSI is somewhere in between the LADSPA
and LV2 state.
   I know, that this is not very detailed, but from a user point of view, I
think it's basically true.
   Kindest regards
            Julien

--------