[LAU] RF64 file format and commercial software - again

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Wed Oct 13 06:48:44 UTC 2010

Quoting fons at kokkinizita.net:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 09:49:43PM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
>
>> If anyone has access to any commercial software that includes
>> support for writing the RF64 file format, I'd appreciate it if
>> you send me (direct please, not to the list) a small file (ie
>> less than 100k) with information about the program that generated
>> it.
>
> This may be useful if you have a windoze machine:
>
> <http://www.davidsystems.com/en/news/news-detail/period/1209592800/2678399/1/article/31/david-systems-offers-rf64-generator-for-free/>

Or have WINE installed (it even worked with the 0.9.20 version I've
got installed). I had it make a 4.1GB file which sndfile-info
identified as :

Version : libsndfile-1.0.20

File : /4GBwav/Stereo4Gb.wav
Length : 4295837820
RF64
   WAVE
ds64 : 32
   Riff size : 4295837812
   Data size : 4295837712
   Frames    : 1073959428
   Table len : 0
fmt  : 40
   Format        : 0xFFFE => WAVE_FORMAT_EXTENSIBLE
   Channels      : 2
   Sample Rate   : 44100
   Block Align   : 4
   Bit Width     : 16
   Bytes/sec     : 176400
   Valid Bits    : 16
   Channel Mask  : 0x3
   Subformat
     esf_field1 : 0x1
     esf_field2 : 0x0
     esf_field3 : 0x10
     esf_field4 : 0x80 0x0 0x0 0xAA 0x0 0x38 0x9B 0x71
     format : pcm
data : FFFFFFFF

Sample Rate : 44100
Frames      : 1073959428
Channels    : 2
Format      : 0x00220002
Sections    : 1
Seekable    : TRUE
Duration    : 06:45:52.821

Strangely enough libsndfile-1.0.23 borks on the file:

Error : Not able to open input file /4GBwav/Stereo4Gb.wav.
File : /4GBwav/Stereo4Gb.wav
Length : 4295837820
RF64
   WAVE
ds64 : 32
   Riff size : 4295837812
   Data size : 4295837712
   Frames    : 1073959428
   Table length : 0
*** Unknown chunk marker (0x0) at position 0x34. Exiting parser.

Error in WAV file. No 'data' chunk marker.

- Peder