[LAU] usb or firewire (when having a ricoh chipset)

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 11:28:14 UTC 2010

On 10/28/2010 03:23 PM, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/28/2010 01:10 PM, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Having a ricoh firewire chipset here on a thinkpad t61. Not the best one
>> afaik.. Should I go for a usb (edirol for example) or firewire interface?
>>
>> \r
>>
> The T61 has cardslots right? Then a good option might be to get a
> FireWire pcmcia card or ExpressCard and go for FireWire. And not all
> Ricoh chipsets fail to work properly so a FireWire card might just work
> with the onboard Ricoh controller.

I read somewhere on the KVR forums "If the FW chipset is Ricoh... the
cardbus controller is also Ricoh.
So... you're not circumventing the problematic chipset by using a
cardbus TI chipset FW controller."
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/printview.php?t=236380&start=0

\r

Model: "Ricoh R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller"
   Device: pci 0x0832 "R5C832 IEEE 1394 Controller"