[LAU] Polyphonic pitch detection

Jonathan Gazeley jonathan.gazeley at bristol.ac.uk
Sat Oct 30 20:06:37 UTC 2010

On 10/30/2010 02:56 PM, allcoms wrote:
> Last I checked it couldn't do polyphony as I think you desire but
> there is a Linux app called waon you may want to try that converts wav
> to MIDI.
>
> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Paul Davis<paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>  wrote:
>> On Sat, Oct 30, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Jonathan Gazeley
>> <jonathan.gazeley at bristol.ac.uk>  wrote:

>>> Well, I am a church organist, and have been for years.
>>>
>>> I can read music and play it, but unfortunately I seem to lack the ability
>>> to listen to music and write it down if it's polyphonic. No problem if it's
>>> monophonic.
>>
>> i've seen a demo of Clam doing this sort of thing, but again, its
>> display is visual, not a list.

I've had a go with waon and it's done a far better job than anything
else I've tried today, so thanks for the heads-up.

I had originally thought the relative simplicity of this music would let
it be easily transcoded by software, but on second thought the pipe
organ has lots of other strong harmonics in each note, and this seems to
confuse pitch detection algorithms somewhat.

Maybe for the best results I will simply have to do it by hand (or get
someone else to) :(

Jonathan