[LAU] new 64 bit adobe flash player for linux available

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+la at mega-nerd.com
Wed Sep 15 22:08:34 UTC 2010

Niels Mayer wrote:

> Who knows, maybe someone figured out a way to 'sploit flash, and
> combine it with this
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/09/15/linux_kernel_regression_bug/
> so Adobe pulled it until they could fix the flash part. :-)
>
> I for one didn't like running the pulled-by-adobe 64 bit flash
> binaries long after their time was up, so i'm glad to finally update.

I used to use the 64 bit Adobe flash plugin, but when they yanked
it, I started using Gnash (version 0.8.8 in Debian Testing).

The Gnash plugin works for Youtube (one of the main valid uses
for Flash) but doesn't work with Vimeo and a couple of others.

The Gnash CPU load is a bit higher that the Flash plugin but I
use it with the FlashBlock firefox plugin:

    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/433/

so that is rarely a problem. The FlashBlock plugin also has the
advantage of disabling all that crappy Flash web advertising. For
any Flash object on a page I actually want to watch I can re-enable
just by clicking on it.

HTH,
Erik