[LAU] sysex on arch

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Apr 15 10:46:34 UTC 2011

Atte André Jensen wrote:
> I need to do backup of some hardware synths on my arch system. I first
> tried simplesysexxer, but it doesn't seem to receive anything (actually
> the very first time I tried, "something" happened, but since then it's
> been dead). So I looked at amidi, but "amidi -l" fails like this:
>
> atte at vestbjerg:~$ amidi -l
> Dir Device    Name
> cannot determine device number: Inappropriate ioctl for device

This happens if the snd-rawmidi module is not loaded.  Apparently, you
do not have any kernel driver using raw MIDI ports.

> I should note that my physical midiin is located on my edirol (FA66)
> firewire audio interface, and I use a2jmidid to bridge between alsa-midi
> and jack-midi.

a2jmidid creates sequencer ports, not raw MIDI ports.

If you want to use amidi to access those ports, load snd-virmidi and
connect it to a2jmidid.  (This won't help you if it is Jack's FFADO
driver that drops SysEx messages.)

Regards,
Clemens