[LAU] New floss made album released, Garage Orchestra! - The decison of Don Rodrigo

Giorgio - Audiophilo anomalsound at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 02:26:11 UTC 2011

> tech question : can you tell us a bit more about your workflow?

First of all i'd like to start from a consideration: there's a big work to
do before recording, even before placing microphones. You must have a clear
view of the final result before starting with any operation IMHO.
For this work i started listening to the demos and picturing in my mind the
sound of this band, then i talked to the guys, change some song structure
and arrangements.
After this:

Recording
Drums: As you can hear from the song the drums sound a bit electronic. To
obtain this result i placed few microphones (bass drum, snare, hi-hat, tom
1, tom 2, floor tom, two overheads A/B figure), this because i knew that i
would have replaced the snare and the kick sound later so i didn't need
great accuracy on those percussions.

Bass: From the bass to the mixer and then sound card. Nothing special.

Guitars: From the guitars to the mixer and then sound card. This is not a
very common workflow, i'll explain later.

Synths: I wrote the parts on Muse and used some soft synth and also used
some external hard synth.

Voice: We made a very hard work on the voice since we put many parts
together to obtain a certain harmony. Then the singer recorded with a
condenser microphone an at 4040 if i recall well

Editing
Since i wanted to obtain an overall electronic sound i wanted the
instruments to play very "together" and tight so i did some surgical
editing on the tracks with Ardour 2.8.11. I encountered some problem
because it's well known that Ardour gets slow (and sometimes crashes) when
working with many many regions. To avoid this i reduced the hystory to 10
steps, i often consolidated regions and do some "cleanup unused regions" as
well. I also did some voice tuning with Fons Adriansen's Jretune.
Once everything was perfectly tight with the grid i started reamping the
bass and the guitars.

Reamp
Once i had the "perfect" guitars and bass takes, i sent the signals out
from my sound card to a reamp box (i use this one
http://www.radialeng.com/di-xamp.htm) and then to some amps. I recorded
them in order to have the bass amp sound summed to the direct one and to
have "bigger" guitars obtained with different amp sounds mixed together.

Drums Replacing
I did some drums replacing on the bass drum and the snare using
ladspa-trigger.

Synths
Once the midi parts were well defined i sent them to soft (Yoshimi,
Nekobee, amsynth for example) and hard synths (i had this Yamaha digital
piano a Korg 01WFD and a Roland jp 8000) and recorded them into the Ardour
session.

Mix
I mixed all the tracks together using many ladspa and lv2 plugins like
Invada, Calf and others.

Mastering
I exported groups of tracks from the mixing sessions and imported them into
a new one, then i used some soft eq and external compressor.

and also the pitfalls you encounter when using linux apps (like this app is
> great, but when you do this/that it crashes or does weird stuff or starts
> to 'suck real bad'

Except for the Ardour issue explained above i didn't encounter many weird
things.
Hope this can be exaustive enough.
Cheers

--