[LAU] And even more organ music

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Jan 5 15:12:58 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 7:49 AM, Jonathan Gazeley
<jonathan.gazeley at bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> multi-hundred-thousand-pound overhaul bill for the organ. They didn't have
> much money and decided to donate the organ to a church in France after 100
> years of use, and raised a much lower sum to cover the cost of a digital
> organ. It's a nice digital organ and it sounds quite realistic, not to
> mention being much more reliable. It's perfectly acceptable for church use,
> and has many more stops, but it's not the same as a real antique instrument.
>
> I realise this is all a bit OT for a Linux mailing list but maybe somebody
> will find it interesting :)

not entirely off-topic: there is a company not too far from where i
live that is specifically in the business of selling systems to such
churches that (a) sample the entire organ as best as can be achieved
given its condition (b) replace it with their own custom sample
playback engine (originally written by another relatively well known
linux audio developer) loaded with the samples. the whole thing runs
on linux. i don't know their name or how good their work is, but its
certainly an interesting idea.