[LAU] LV2, DSSI and the future of plugins

S. Massy lists at smassy.andropov.org
Mon Jan 17 23:15:25 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 09:23:04PM -0800, Ken Restivo wrote:

> I can't stand the whole idea of closed-source VSTs and plugins and synths.
>
> Yeah, I'm one of THOSE guys.
>
> Seriously, I'm using linux becuase of the freedom, the open source, and the political aspect of it. That's why I run it. I wouldn't bother with it otherwise.
>
> If I wanted to use proprietary, closed-source software, why would I even try to get it running on Linux at all?
>
> Taking this a bit father: if convenience, "user experience", time, availability, commercial support, etc were REALLY important, why wouldn't I just get a MacBook Pro like everyone else has, and run that?

While not half as militant, I basically agree with these assertions.
Maybe on a short-term basis, a proprietary OS or DAW is easier to get
started with, but in the long run, the serious user will likely invest a
surprising number of man-hours in getting their environment to perform
as they wish and familiarising with their toolchain. As has been pointed
out in previous threads, most successful "electronic" musicians (however
one defines the term) have invested much time and money to come up with
an original sounding rig. I personally know some more traditional
musicians/composers who have literally spent a year just to get their
Mac to work "just so" with their DAW and synth of choice.

Where open-source makes sense to me is that, if I am going to invest
time and money in creating a working rig, I would rather not rely on an
OS or application over which I have little control, and which might be
bought out, discontinued, or altered significantly at the whim of a
large corporation. I won't even go into the matter of accessibility and
how little corporations care about it, leaving customers more or less to
fend for themselves and take pot shots at workability.

Anyway, just my $0.02's worth of blab.

Cheers,
S.M.