[LAU] PITA: RME HDSPe AIO

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Jun 6 11:35:06 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-06-06 at 07:00 -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> you do not need to run hdspconf or hdspmixer to configure your device.
> they are simply the most convenient tool if you like GUI interfaces
> for such things. amixer(1) is entirely capable of configuring all the
> device controls that ALSA knows about.

I'll test this, thank you.

Regards,

Ralf

--
PS:
OT:

>i find these discussions funny. i used to read that the reason to use
> Ubuntu or Debian was that stuff just worked, especially "new stuff".

Yes for a hand full of people who use Ubuntu and describe to forums and
work in their professional studios, just a PREEMPT does the job. From
01.10.2010 to 31.03.2011 I worked for child care, no audio engineers, no
computer experts, well, averaged people seldom do have that good luck,
most people came from Windows and stay at Windows, although they liked
what I showed by Edubuntu.

i've been using a different distribution that has a long history,
> regularly gets criticized as not appropriate for the desktop, and i
> just don't have the kinds of issues you're describing.

I don't had issues with old Debian and I don't have issues with Suse
11.2, without Suse's Sax, my monitor won't be ok for  Debian ;).

i would also strongly advise against changing a thread that started as
> a request about to get a SPECIFIC card configured into a thread about
> "how difficult it is to do <FOO> on linux". it will strongly reduce
> the chance that anybody who can help will help, and simply fills our
> mailboxes with more useless chatter.

Yes, you're right. I need to calm down ;). perhaps I should switch back
to Suse or use Fedora or some RPM based distro.