[LAU] Kernel 2.6.39

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Wed Jun 22 07:19:13 UTC 2011

>Hi,
>
>could there be any disadvantages for averaged desktop users, server
>usage etc., if the kernel 2.6.39 is build as PREEMPT kernel?
>
>Today I installed the kernel from the repositories of a major Distro:
>
>$ uname -a
>Linux debian 2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Wed Jun 8 11:01:04 UTC 2011 x86_64
>GNU/Linux
>
>Some time ago I build the kernel myself:
>
>$ uname -a
>Linux debian 2.6.39.1 #1 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jun 7 01:40:05 CEST 2011 x86_64
>GNU/Linux
>
>I'm asking, because I want to know, if it would be reasonable to appeal,
>that major distros should build it as PREEMPT kernel.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ralf
>
>_________

Hi Ralf,

My understanding that there would probably be not much differences for desktop
users. However (most) server users would not want a pre-emptively built as they
generally require to share their services whereas pre-emption can cause delays on
some services...

FWIW - this is only my limited understanding..  I have a pre-emptive kernel on my
general purpose laptop.. On my home server I have no latency on low value kernel
timer.. .

I recommend either building your own kernel (fairly easy, especially if you save
your config from previous builds).. Or getting a pre-built audio purpose kernel..

cheers

Allan