[LAU] poll : Advertising vs Linux Audio

gene heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Apr 22 19:59:48 UTC 2012

On Sunday, April 22, 2012 03:49:03 PM Clemens Ladisch did opine:

> Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> > Do the other members of this community feel so strongly too?
>
> No; but only the strongly-feeling are compelled to speak up.  :)
>
> > That advertising is without merit and should be avoided like the
> > plague for fear of contaminating out precious Linux Audio Ecosystem.
>
> "He who pays the piper calls the tune."
> If you actually depend on the income from advertizers, _they_ are your
> customers.
>

> Personally, I don't care much; nobody _forces_ me to pay for ads, or
> to watch them.  I go to a web page to find useful information; ads
> influence this only if they distract or event prevent me from that.
>

> Regards,
> Clemens

And I will go so far as to say that when a popup covers the content I am
interested in, and doesn't grow an exit button until you've had time to
absorb the message, I will take note of what the popup is trying to sell
me, so that I can be assured that the product or service is one I will not
knowingly steer ANY money to.  To me, that is negative advertising of the
worst kind, exceeded only by the chutzpah of the programmer who, before
closing that overlay, opens 2 to 10 more of these self-replicating popups.

However, bringing in advs on email imply's html email & I don't display any
html without knowing the source is 200% trust able.  It wastes bandwidth
because the typical html wrapped message is 10x the size it would be in
plain text, and opens the door to all sorts of security concerns.

html only messages from a mailing list are summarily deleted here.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
Turnaucka's Law:
	The attention span of a computer is only as long as its
	electrical cord.