[LAU] First release: LinuxBand 12.02 Beta

Ales Nosek ales.nosek at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 22:07:47 UTC 2012

 Thank you for your testing and suggestions.

> Dependencies:
>
> 1. smf (found by ./configure)
>
> 2. python-gtksourceview2 (found trying to run it--please test for this in
> ./configure script).

The check for python-gtksourceview2 is missing. The full list of
dependencies can be found here: http://linuxband.org/documentation.html

> Ideas:
>
> 1. No need to require jack for simple MIDI. Maybe allow an option here.
> (Unfortunately, my jack is not working right now so could not play anything
> :-()

This would need more work I'm not going to do. For serious audio work on
Linux you have to use JACK so I went straight for it.

> 2. With or without jack, need to be able to set some MIDI output device.
> Better, program should show up as an alsa/jack MIDI source which can be
> connected using jack or alsa connections such as in qjackctl. (I see no
> provision for this in mma's CLI, however--does it do stdin->stdout?)

Don't know if I understand correctly. LinuxBand will create a JACK Midi
port called linuxband-player. You can connect it using qjackctl. mma cli is
a Midi generator not a player.

> 3. You might look at Jammer's interface. The measures/bars view show
> chords and styles (plus user part names and such). There is indication of
> tempo changes, key and time signatures and such, all in place and all
> visible.

Yes, thanks, I'll check it out for inspiration.