[LAU] bitwig announcement

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 01:30:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:12 PM, Alan Russell <ajrussellaudio at gmail.com>wrote:

> ...These are the programs
> which would encourage users to install Linux and become part of the
> community/ecosystem. Bitwig and other cross-platform apps are not. If
> I'm on a Mac and I buy a Bitwig license, I have the choice of just
> installing it and using it, or installing Ubuntu, configuring it,
> fighting with drivers and packages, learning a new OS, then using
> Bitwig. Of course I'm going to install it on the Mac.

Or take it one step a different direction...

I am a Live User (Or even a Bitwig user presumably a few years down the
road).  I have a workflow I am used to, and I want to try out Linux for
reason X, Y, or Z.  But I find that there is nothing on Linux that can
match my workflow, or even fully supplant it, meaning my work will be hurt
by switching to Linux in most liklihood.  Thus I don't as to do so would
mean limiting myself.

I came from OSX as well, but I'm used to Pro Tools and Logic and
> Native Instruments. I'm running Linux because I'm recycling an old
> desktop. So it's an experiment. But I wouldn't have signed up to the
> mailing list if I wasn't loving it.

For the record, I also came from ProTools on Mac, and CuBase/Nuendo on
Windows before that;)  So not that much different, though I probably have
been using Ardour for quite some time at this point and wouldn't be able to
step up to PT or CuBase/Nuendo very easily at all:)

> To go back to the Nintendo vs Sega comparison, I was a Nintendo kid.
> But I didn't tell my friend his Mega Drive (Genesis) sucked because of
> the audio DSP chip, or the graphics raster engine, or the gamepad
> ergonomics. His Mega Drive sucked because he couldn't play Super Mario
> Kart or Starwing on it.

Heh as I said, it is the exact same argument above, just looking at it from
a different angle.  So my question becomes, would Sega have sucked if it
could play Mario Kart AND all the Sega Games? ;)

At any rate my nitpicking is done, back to my regularly scheduled "what the
hell am I doing for this sound" work day.

         Seablade