[LAU] Google Map of linux audio users

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Sep 22 16:01:53 UTC 2012

On Saturday 22 September 2012 11:38:22 Ricardus Vincente did opine:

> On Fri, 2012-09-21 at 23:13 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > An even better idea would be to tell us how to place a pin. Its not
> > obvious.
>
>  When the maps loads, you will see an EDIT button. The EDIT button will
> appear on the page where you see the SAVE/DONE buttons in the attached
> image. Hit the EDIT button, and after a few moments, a toolbar will
> appear at the top of the map (see attached image). Select the middle
> tool (I call it the pin tool). When you have selected it, some sort or
> marker, or X (the pin) will appear under your mouse cursor. Drag the pin
> to your location, and when it's where you want it, click the left mouse
> button. You might have to change the zoom level (zoom out) of the map to
> get where you want to go more quickly. As you get closer to your desired
> location, you can zoom in more to get a more precise placement. You
> should also see a dialog in which you can enter your IRC nickname, or
> name, and some other info about yourself.
>
>  Please be careful when you are in edit mode, because you can move other
> peoples' pins.
>
>  When you are finished hit SAVE and DONE and you should be fine.
>
> http://goo.gl/maps/Rk0rC
>
>  Rich...

I got it, sorta.  That page needs popup help in the worst way.  I centered
my location on the map, then clicked on the pin, and the map took off north
about 10 miles before it autoplaced the pin by hitting the lower border of
the window.  And it only gave me one chance to move it afterwards.  The pin
and the map became locked and couldn't be unlocked.  It is within about 100
feet, but the map of my subdivision is so wrong that its difficult to make
sure I put it correctly.  Two adjacent streets show the same name, and
another street whose name should be on the eastern duplicate named street,
does not exist and had not existed in the about 50 year history of this
development.  That of course is not your fault, thats 100% google's
problem.  It also appears that the sat photos have been updated since 2008,
with new stuff that is much less sharp so it is no longer possible to
overlay the photos on the street map to correct it with absolute certainty.

I have done this once before, quite some time back, and compared to that
experience, this version has more bugs than 7 day old road kill.  That too,
is quite likely NOT this groups problem.  For this particular application,
I'd have to say that the programmer should have been (figuratively) shot 5
years ago when it was a usable application.

Oh well, perhaps another shot of coffee will help my attitude?  When one is
north of 3/4ths of a century, it does tend to get a bit jaded.

Thanks all who responded.

Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)
A bug in the hand is better than one as yet undetected.