[LAU] jack -> net driver

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Sat Dec 28 15:26:19 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have jack running on a windows machine with the net driver (slave).
The master is fedora 18.

The relevant incantations (taken from .jackdrc) are:

Master: jackd -S -dalsa -dhw:0 -r44100 -p256 -n3 -H -M -Xseq
Slave: jackd -X winmme -dnet -i2 -o2 -C8 -P24 -i8

... both controlled by qjackctl

This has been working pretty flawlessly for a few months but when I
noticed with a certain instrument on the slave there was some midi
latency, I decided to try fiddling with master -p (frames/period). I
shut both slave and master down, changed period from 256 -> 128 and
fired up the master -- all great, played some music , made a few live
recordings etc.

Then I started the slave (same command line) and noticed massive xruns
(on the slave) -- so ... I change it all back to -p 256 but the xruns
are still present (on the slave).

Poking around a bit, I opened up the "options" on the master and it says
Frames/Period: 256, I open up options on the slave, and it is grayed out
but says: Frames/Period: 512.

My questions are simply:

1) is qjackctl reporting this correctly on the slave?
2) if so, how or why would they be different?
3) is this why I'm seeing massive xruns?

Any help appreciated.

David