[LAU] [Bulk] Re: Audacity on Ubuntu 14.04 is REALLY unstable

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Aug 18 13:58:33 UTC 2014

On Mon, 18 Aug 2014, Alan McKay wrote:

> Whenever I am ripping if I am using a web browser at the same time,
> what happens is audacity stops recording as though someone had hit the
> "stop" button.  It does not hand or anything, and I can hit "record"
> again and it goes (but it still screws up my rip of course)

Control problem.

> Then when I am done of that an processing, a really simple one.  I
> zoom into the area between songs then I want to play that short clip
> to see exactly where one song ends and the other begins, and maybe
> figure out whether there is a few seconds of silence I can cut out.
> So I hit "play" and then when I hit "stop" at the other end, it hangs
> solid and eventually gives me the option to kill or wait.  I kill it.
> That one can sometimes happen the very first thing into audacity
> before I've done any other editing.

I have done that and not had a problem. Again this is a control problem -
something bad happens in the control of the program.

> I am using regular Ubuntu not studio.

So that would be the new (still experimental IMO) unity desktop with it's
ever changing interface that is slowly moving from X to MIR. You don't
have to use studio, but have you tried xubuntu or kubuntu? Both of these
desktops seem to have no problems with audacity. Studio, which I am using
uses XFCE and kubunu, which my wife uses, is KDE. My wife uses audacity as
her "DAW"  :)  so she has done lots of starts and stops with no problem.

Also look for the next release of audacity in the next month or so.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net