[LAU] Graphic card

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Dec 28 19:31:17 UTC 2014

On 12/28/2014 06:24 AM, Raphaël Mouneyres wrote:
> Le 26 déc. 2014 à 09:26, David Christensen <dpchrist at holgerdanske.com> a écrit :
>> 1.  Some chips (Atom?) have proprietary graphics without Linux support.
> I have two Intel D525MW Atom based boards running Archlinux, video driver is working perfectly out of the box.
> I use those board to do realtime audio using linux sampler and RME PCI audiocard, it does an excellent job.

Yes, that's an older atom board that I remember looking at (first dual
core?).  I seem to recall that it has pre- Intel HD Graphics, and should
be well supported by FOSS operating systems.

A more recent Atom board that caught my eye has a dual core CPU and dual
Gigabit ports:

http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-d2500cc.html

I wanted to use these for silent SFF thin clients, infrastructure
micro-servers, firewall/ routers, etc..  But, then I researched the
graphics -- Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 3600 Graphics Controller
(p. 17):

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/20718/eng/D2500CC_TechProdSpec08.pdf

The graphics core is proprietary PowerVR SGX545:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#GMA_3600

At the time, there was no FOSS support, so I dropped the idea.

Intel has since released a FOSS driver:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21938

But, it is not well supported:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/126818/how-to-install-drivers-for-intel-gma-3600-intergrated-graphics-system

https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/intel-3600-powervr.38791/

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Intel_GMA3600

Currently, I would be interested in an Intel NUC with dual Gigabit; but
they don't make one AFAIK.

HTH,

David