[LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Mon Feb 10 01:39:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 09, 2014 at 05:51:54PM -0600, Matt Garman wrote:

> So the fundamental problem is that there's no physical locality
> between the server and the speakers.  What I was thinking was to use a
> USB DAC that has dual outputs.  One output would go to a power amp,
> which in turn would go to a speaker selector (so I can power multiple
> sets of speakers).
>
> The DAC's other output needs to go to the sub.  But there's the
> problem: I only have a single coax run, so I can only send one
> channel.

I can't make sense of this.

  One output of the DAC goes to the power amp (for the main speakers)
  The other output goes to the sub.

So you won't have stereo. In that case, just send the mono signal
(L+R) to both channels of the DAC. If you don't do that, you'll
just be listening to one channel. And then I really wonder why
you bother about the bass - you'll be missing the entire second
channel anyway.

And why do you use *coax* cable between the DAC and the sub ?
A normal screened cable will do...

If you're a bit handy with a soldering iron, all it takes to
mix the DAC outputs to mono would be two resistors and some
short pieces of wire and connectors.

Ciao,

--
FA