[LAU] howto get pcmcia firewire card working

Atte atte at youmail.dk
Tue Jun 24 08:47:04 UTC 2014

Hi

I got a new laptop without firewire. So I bought a delock pcmcia
firewire card to be able to use my firewire soundcard. Since I couldn't
see any hardware specs for the cards I looked at before buying, I simply
went for the cheapest...

I've been working with firewire a lot in the past, but only with build
in controllers, so I'm not sure if I should do something special to get
this card going.

I obviously tried plugging it in and starting jack with the firewire
driver for all available interfaces, but I get these errors:

firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
Cannot attach audio driver
JackServer::Open failed with -1
no message buffer overruns
Failed to open server
10:35:53.707 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
10:35:54.785 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
messages window for more info.
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started

Those look familiar, they are exactly the same as on my desktop pc (that
works with wirewire) when I don't have the soundcard plugged in.

Of course it might be that the pcmcia card is simply not working under
linux (I have no other os running, so I have to assume the card is in
fact working under, say, windows).

But what actions could I take to either get it working or convince
myself that it's simply not supported?

NB: I run crunchbang linux (=debian wheezy), which were installed prior
to getting the card. The laptop is a Lenovo x220.

NB2: I couldn't see anything in dmesg after inserting the card and lspci
is the same with the card attached and detached...

Any pointers appreciated!

--
Atte

http://atte.dk   http://modlys.dk