[LAU] qjackctl bubbles

Peter P. p8rpp at aol.com
Sun May 11 20:23:45 UTC 2014

* Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc at rncbc.org> [2014-05-11 15:36]:
> On 05/11/2014 07:12 PM, Peter P. wrote:
> >Hi list,
> >
> >dear Rui,
> >
> >I am a happy qjackctl user. Nevertheless after more than five years I
> >must say that I have already learnt that jackd will continue to run if
> >I close the qjackctl main window and leave it there as system tray.
> >The same goes for the bubbles that announce a problem, or the need to
> >restart after doing changes.
> >Is there any chance this might be addressed in a future update,
> >like as a configurable option? Could one at least try to comment it
> >out in the source code and recompile?
> >

> the bubbles stays there for about 5 seconds then disappear. what
> harm comes from that?
Thanks for your kind reply. I just still get distracted by it and
am somehow prompted to click it away, furthermore it always covers
qjackctls main window, which happens to happily live in my bottom
right corner of the desktop.

> and yes, one could make it there a "don't ask me again" checkboxbut
> one would have to code just that from scratch--rewrite a system-tray
> bubble (sub)class from the ground up--it happens that i might not be
> _that_ willing someone just yet
Totally understood. Thank you for giving me your view on that.

> maybe there's already code out there that you can rip off yourself?
> it's not jack nor audio related, it's a pure qt-gui thing cf.
> QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage()
Thank you! Perhaps a shorter timeout can already solve the thing for me.
Did you set it explicitely or are the 5 seconds you mention a system
default?
http://doc.qt.digia.com/4.6/qsystemtrayicon.html#showMessage

I couldn't find it by neither briefly reading the source code of
qjackctl, nor by grepping, but I am not very good at this either I am
afraid.

Thanks for all!
best, P