[LAU] Help with configuring a laptop for Linux Audio work

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Mon May 12 11:13:14 UTC 2014

Hey Jeremy and all!

Tried your solution, I think it improved things a little bit, but not too
much. It seemed as if there were smaller amounts of xruns, but still
unreliable for recording things.

However, I think I stumbled upon a viable solution. Harry advised me to
turn off wifi. I did this using iwconfig eth1 txpower off.
And what do you know? Not a single xrun in 20 minutes. I played around with
stuff, recorded - all good. YAY!

The only problem is that when I do iwconfig eth1 txpower on, XWindow
crashes and I am left with no graphics and with even no ability to copy
what the black screen says. So now I will attempt to turn off wifi module
in kernel and then loading it back up and seeing whether this is as good
for audio performance and then turn it back on and see if this crashes my
system again or not.

Will keep you updated and everyone huge thanks for helping me out with
this. I am hoping this laptop will allow me to do lots of good tunes.

L.V.

On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 1:36 PM, Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy at autostatic.com>wrote:

> On 05/12/2014 11:32 AM, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > Did this. Edited the file, then went for commands. Edit command did not
> > work though.
> >
> > http://paste.ubuntu.com/7451544/
>
> Ah, you edited the file before running the commands, that's ok too. With
> 'edit /etc/default/rtirq' I actually meant edit the file
> /etc/default/rtirq with your editor of choice. But I see the right
> values get picked up now so could you check if this improves things?
>
> Jeremy

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/