[LAU] DIY acoustic absorbers?

Jeremy Jongepier jeremy at autostatic.com
Sun May 25 17:20:53 UTC 2014

On 05/25/2014 01:47 PM, Gabriel Nordeborn wrote:
> But, before I start anything, I'd very much like input from people who
> actually know what they're talking about (I'm looking at you on this list
> ;) ). So, does anyone have thoughts/suggestions for me? Any recommended way
> of doing this?

Hello Gabriel,

I recently borrowed a couple of A5X's and what struck me in the manual
was that it only mentioned that you need a proper stereo placement and
that the tweeters should roughly be at the height of your ears and that
was about it. The chapter about placing the Yamaha HS50's I own myself
is quite a bit longer, it mentions the minumim distance to the wall,
that they shouldn't be placed in corners etc. I get the idea that the
Adam's are not that picky and that they are ideal for mobile use. The
guy I borrowed them from uses them in a mobile setup too in a great
variety of environments that he barely knows beforehand (studios,
cottages, rehearsal rooms, cellars, etc.) and he has had no big issues
yet getting a decent mix out of them.
What I wanted to say is that it might not be really needed to put a lot
of time and effort in acoustic treatment. Unless if you clap your hands
in the room you already know enough ;)

Jeremy