[LAU] POD HD300 and Jack

Cristiano Alessandro cristianoale at tiscali.it
Tue May 27 18:49:41 UTC 2014

Hi Harry,

thank you very very much for helping...

>     I have configured Jack from QJackCtl such that the interface I am
>     using is my POD (interface box in the Setup window - interface
>     which is different than the one used in Pulse). Now, I cannot
>     really go on. I guess I have two options to loop my sound back to
>     the speakers (and please correct me if I am wrong): (1) specifying
>     the input and output device in the Setup window appropriately; (2)
>     specifying a proper connection in the Connections window.
>
>     Option 1. The Input Device and Output Device scroll down list in
>     the setup window
>
> Yes these are the options that you'll need to use to set up the POD as
> audio device.  Are you sure that ALSA supports the POD device? It
> seems like there might be a driver issue, as some other Line6 devices
> require a custom driver to work with Linux:
> http://sourceforge.net/p/line6linux I hope I'm wrong!

I do not really understand the logic of option 1 though. First, why are
the input and output devices drop down lists shaded if I do not select
duplex? In other words, if I only want to loop the sound back to the
speaker, it does not seem that option 1 would work, as I cannot select
the input not input device. And in any case, if I have already selected
the interface I am going to use (my POD), what does it mean to select
input and output device?

As for the drivers. In fact I have not installed any driver myself. The
POD gets recognized out of the box in pulse (doesn't it use ALSA too?).
The first question is: if the problem was the driver, the device should
not get recognized in the interface drop down list, right? But it is.
Also, if I have a look at /proc/asound/cards, I get

$ cat /proc/asound/cards

  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                       HDA Intel at 0xfcaf4000 irq 46
  1 [NVidia         ]: HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
                       HDA NVidia at 0xfeafc000 irq 17
  2 [PODHD300       ]: line6usb - POD HD300
                       Line6 POD HD300 at USB 8-2:1.0

As you can see, device number 2 is my POD, and strangely it says
line6usb (which is the name of the device driver in sourceforge). Does
this mean that the driver is there and that ALSA support the device?

>     Option 2. The POD appears only in the ALSA tab of the Connection
>     window.
>
> The ALSA tab in QJackCtl shows MIDI devices: the MIDI component of the
> POD 300 is probably class-compliant (meaning, no special driver
> required for that part)..

Again, I do not understand the logic here. I am sorry, I am very new to
these things. If the ALSA tab shows the MIDI devices, what does the MIDI
tab show? Also, should my POD be listed in the Audio tab (if it was
recognized properly)?

Thanks again
Cristiano