[LAU] [Bulk] Debian DAW experiences

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Mon Sep 1 18:18:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, 1 Sep 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On Sun, 2014-08-31 at 22:42 -0700, David Christensen wrote:
>> So, it's time for me to look for another Linux distribution.  Are there
>> any recommendations for a Linux distribution that:
>
>> The runner-up, Ubuntu Studio, is 2+ GB and therefore fails criteria #2.
>
> Yesno. It's not a clean audio distro. After installing it, you could
> remove all the packages that aren't related to audio or perhaps somebody
> could explain you how to make a *buntu expert install with installing
> just the Ubuntu Studio audio meta-packages.
>
> It's simply impossible to provide an OOTB distro + community for 1000
> and more different needs.

As of the latest LTS, the install includes a step where the user can
choose not to install all the available sw from the ISO. In this case you
would not install the video, graphics, photgraphy and publishing sections.
Then in the audio section you can choose not to install a lot of the
applications as well. Ubuntu Studio is based on xubuntu, so looking at the
size of Xubuntu will give you an idea of the minimum size (their iso is
now above CD size as well BTW)

Please note that the size of the ISO and the install size are
very different. A 2g ISO will take 6 to 8 gig of hard drive space. Also
this size changes with the size of the partition. It seems there is space
set aside that is a percentage of the total partition size or that there
are two sizes one for samll partitions and one for large. All I know is
that the disk space used from df differs from a 20g partition to a 40+g
partition. This true for a net install as well as I recall (I don't
remember everything right all the time so check).

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net