[LAU] CPU fan and video card recommendations ?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Tue Feb 3 14:06:25 UTC 2015

Greetings,

I've built a new machine around an AMD FX6300 CPU, currently using the
packaged fan that came with the CPU. I'd like to replace it with a quiet
device, something like the Zalman fans I used with previous sockets.
Alas, the new design doesn't accommodate my old fan so I need some
advice. What's recommended in the ~$50(US) range ? It doesn't have to be
absolutely silent but quieter is better. Case is an Antec Sonata II, the
PSU is a Seasonic 650W unit, also very quiet.

I'm also looking for a replacement for my video card, currently an old
Gigabyte card with an nVidia 7600GS chipset, very outdated. I don't need
the cutting edge but I do need accelerated 3D graphics so nVidia is my
choice. Any recommended *fanless* boards in the $100-150 range ?

TIA!

Best,

dp