[LAU] Concurrent Patch Management, and process control

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at ponderworthy.com
Sun Feb 15 20:35:04 UTC 2015

>> "Robust Session Management" has now been replaced with something much
>> better:
>>
>> http://lsn.ponderworthy.com/doku.php/concurrent_patch_management
>>
>> All patches are now kept running all the time, are switched by MIDI
>> channel from the MIDI controller, and can be played simultaneously.
>
> Although I am not much of a musician, and have only played with midi on a
> much older machine, I have to say that this is the first truly new
> approach to the patch switching problem to come down the pike since I
gave
> midi up quite some time ago.  Very creative in my old broadcast engineers
> technical view.

Thanks, Gene!

> We seriously need a MIDI-2 standard that addresses this.  A pure glass
> fiber jumper cable could easily do the 16 byte command word, and do it
> with megaword/second speeds, in addition to being the perfect on stage
> humm isolator that plagues the analog copper cabling (that can give you a
> lethal shock if not wired correctly) way too often.
>
> Cheers, Gene Heskett

I think the strongest effort to replace MIDI-1, is OSC.  OSC-over-Ethernet
seems the common transport, and it doesn't seem to have a maximum transport
speed or rigid timing like MIDI does.  There is an HD-MIDI out there but it
still appears to be mostly in the process of seeking to be used.  But just
now I was not able to find a single 88-key weighted controller with OSC.
Hopefully in the near future.

J.E.B.