[LAU] make alsa device hw:1,0 be hw:0,0 somehow

Ben Burdette bburdette at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 06:38:51 UTC 2015

On 10/04/2015 10:02 PM, michael noble wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 8:25 AM, Ben Burdette <bburdette at gmail.com
> <mailto:bburdette at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     No one ever uses that portaudio mode in linux in the
>     supercollider world, so its something of a surprise that it works at
>     all.
>

> This quote alone suggests you may be overstating the difficulty of
> getting a working JACK system up and running with the latencies you
> require. If JACK were as bad as you maintain, surely more people would
> be using the alternative? I'd thoroughly recommend you spend the time
> you will spend trying to get the portaudio backend running the way you
> want and use that time instead to learn how to set up and use JACK on
> your platform. In my experience, once JACK is set up and running, it
> is as hassle free as any other direct interface, but with the added
> bonus of future flexibility if required...
I think most people aren't running jack without a gui and on an arm
computer.  In that situation debian, for instance, has its dbus
permissions completely hosed by default, from the standpoint of jack
anyway.  I had raspian working since last year, but a recent update made
my dbus hacks no longer work.

Arch actually works out of the box with regards to dbus, although I had
some trouble giving jack realtime priority starting it from systemd.
>From systemd jack mostly starts without xruns, if I 'sleep 30' first.

Recently I built a test app using faust and writing directly to alsa.
Super responsive, low latency.  Starts right up, no worries about -p256
or -p512 or etc.  I am building an instrument and I don't need the
flexibility of routing audio between applications.  I do need low
latency and reliability on startup.  Jack, while no doubt powerful in a
studio situation, is for me a needless complication which has produced
lots of sysadmin headaches and no benefits.