[LAU] YAPD (Yet Another Pulseaudio Debate) [WAS]: Re: Diagnosing JACK

Lorenzo Sutton lorenzofsutton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 07:46:24 UTC 2015

I'm always weary about jumping into Pulseaudio (and systemd...) debates
as they always seem to fuel feuds... so I I thought I'd change the
subject line and uninterested people can skip..

On 10/10/2015 01:39, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Fri, 2015-10-09 at 14:46 -0700, Len Ovens wrote:
>> There is a "PA must be removed" religion... best to ignore it. A lot
>> of it has more to do with the people invloved with making PA and their
>> attitudes rather than if PA works well or not. Some of it is also from
>> when PA had a lot more problems than it does now.
>
> That's wrong. Using one sound server usually just makes more sense, than
> using several sound servers that conflict with each other.

In my humble opinion, it's actually right and adheres to a principle of
using a more advanced sound server for more advanced audio/music
scenarios (and software) and a 'deskop-oriented' server for desktop
scenarios.

As with all solution the ideal is when different pieces of technology
dealing with similar content/media/things (in this case audio) are able
to interact / live together.
In my case my audio machine has always also been my 'desktop' machine -
just because - and jack / pulseaudio interaction has never been a big
issue. The issues I have (had) with pulsaudio are always related to its
interaction with 'legacy' alsa-only applications (e.g. the xfce mixer).

My point of view is that Pulseaudio has actually made linux audio (in a
broad meaning) more easy, more usable and more configurable than e.g. on
windows (the control you get with pavcontrol is magnitudes higher and
more intuitive than a windows 'mixer').

I see jack as the more advanced linux audio layer which most users can
easily ignore. For me it's like extreme gamer-oriened graphics (hardware
and software)... I can't really be botherd as long as I can use gimp,
inkscape, pingus, and watch a video smoothly I'm happy with my graphics :-)

The jack paradigm (connect any audio application to any other audio
application) is really powerful (and personally one of the reasons which
drew me to Linux). Yet it is just a bit more complicated to set-up,
especially for users coming from other operating systems, but I wouldn't
blame pulseaudio for that - actually there's no one to 'blame'...

Lorenzo.