[LAU] killling zombie jack

Rui Nuno Capela rncbc at rncbc.org
Thu Oct 22 14:13:00 UTC 2015

On 2015-10-22 13:07, Kaza Kore wrote:
> To: linux-audio-user at lists.linuxaudio.org
> From: chris at chrisarndt.de
> Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2015 13:23:09 +0200
> Subject: Re: [LAU] killling zombie jack
>
> Am 22.10.2015 um 12:58 schrieb Kaza Kore:
>> This page has differences between jack1 and jack2 and very very
> lightly
>> touches on dbus.
>>

> https://github.com/jackaudio/jackaudio.github.com/wiki/Q_difference_jack1_jack2
> [1]
>
> Indeed, that wiki gives answers to most of the questions about jack
> raised in this thread.
>
> The table of jack 1/2 differences leaves me with one question, though:
>
> What is meant by "Has builtin integration with Linux MIDI"?
>
> Does that mean that with jack 2 I have to use a2j or a similar tool to
> have access to ALSA MIDI clients via jack MIDI, but not with jack 1?

it means that jack1 (>= 0.123.3) has a2jmidid functionality fully
integrated (via -Xalsa_midi, which supercedes -Xseq).

iow.: when using jack1 (v0.123.3+) and setting midi driver to "seq" (cf.
qjackctl) you won't need to run `a2jmidid -e` as an
ALSA-MIDI-to-JACK-MIDI bridge whatsoever anymore.

hth.
cheers
--
rncbc aka. Rui Nuno Capela