[LAU] how can I send a midi command from bash through jack to my HW controller?

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Sat Oct 7 23:50:57 UTC 2017

Oct 8 2017, Athanasios Silis has written:
> amidi -p"14:0" -S <3x bytes depicting the midi CC command>
Hi Athanasios,
amidi uses ALSA hardware ports, not ALSA SEQuencer ports. On my system
MIDI thru doesn't show up under those. You can list them with:
amidi -l
or look at:
/proc/asound/cards

Since you're sending MIDI CCs and no SysEx you can use a tool that
supports ALSA SEQ ports.

If your CCs and values are always the same - or just a few setups - you
could put them inside a MIDI file and then use aplaymidi. Otherwise
there is midish a commandline tool, that supports its own bash-like
scripting. It wouldn't be too hard to set something like this up.
http://www.midish.org

If Python or other scripting languages are an option, there are some
packages for these languages which support ALSASEQ I/O. If midish looks
promising, but too much work for a start, I could help.

HTH.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

--------