[LAU] Some disturbing news

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sun Jun 3 18:04:06 CEST 2018

On Sun, 3 Jun 2018, Paul Davis wrote:

> ​There's never going to be a year of Linux on the desktop.

I agree. When I say I don't use Windows I still get a knowing smile and
Oh, mac then... No Linux. What?

The desktop is what the computer comes with for almost everyone. They buy
the desktop as part of the computer. A seller would rather sell an OS that
has a bought licence as it means they have a recipt it is paid for. A free
OS is not value added. That is why music has been sold as MP3s for so
long. There has been someone to pay for it's use and a paper that says I
personally (or as a company) have a right to do what I am doing. There
will be no one coming around in a few years telling me I have to pay for
something I have been using for years. Even Android is a sold product for
most phone/tablet companies.

To have Linux be "the desktop" will only happen if you have to have some
paper that allows you to run Linux.

What a world we live in.

For Microsoft, Linux is profitable. In general, the user pays for the
windows licence when the buy the computer, then they put Linux on and
microsoft now has one less person to support.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net